Skip to content
- 5-6 green tomatoes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup fine cornmeal
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 ½ tsp. vinegar
- 1 Tbs. ground flaxseed + 3 Tbs. water
- 1 Tbs. Cajun seasoning
- 2-3 Tbs. vegetable oil for frying
For the Fried Green Tomatoes:
- Cut the tomatoes into ½ inch slices. Season with salt and pepper and let sit for a few minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a shallow bowl, add vinegar to the almond milk and let sit for a few minutes. This creates “buttermilk.”
- Add water to the ground flaxseed and mix into a loose paste. This will be your binder (and your Omega-3’s). Add this to the buttermilk.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or skillet.
- Combine the cornmeal, the flour and the seasoning in a shallow bowl or on a plate.
- Dip the tomato slices into the buttermilk/flaxseed mixture and shake off the excess. Dredge the tomato in the flour/cornmeal mixture until it is well covered. Shake off the excess.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides. It should take about 3 minutes on each side.
- When you remove the tomatoes from the oil, place them on a plate lined with towel paper. Sprinkle a bit of kosher salt on them and then move them to a cooling rack so they stay crispy.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce.